Tuesday 28 February 2012

Seeds start new life in polytunnel!

Had a good weekend up at the allotment. We got lots more done and I feel like we are really starting to get somewhere now. (Do I always say that?!).

I moved about 16 raspberry canes over to their new home. I wasn't sure if I moved the 'best' ones. Some seemed much older, more established, I think in the end I moved some of the younger ones and a few slightly older ones. We have loads left so will be giving some to Mum and I'll probably post something on Greencycle (Freegle) to offer them to people.

Here's where they were:


And here's where I moved them to:


Not the most exciting pictures. I don't fully understand it to be honest but last year we had some bear fruit in early summer and some in late summer/early autumn. The early ones we cut down and the later ones we left so that when we moved them we knew which were which. The thing I don't understand is that I think it will be opposite this year so that the early ones from last year will bear fruit later on and vice versa. Is that right? Who bloody knows, as long as we get raspberries I don't really mind.

I was pretty excited to start sowing seeds in the polytunnel!!! I even felt like I knew what I was doing. My friend Suzanne and her daughter Oiana came up to visit and we put tomato, chilli and cauliflower seeds into small pots, like so:




I will be so chuffed if even one of them grows! Our friend works for this local company that sell chilli products and last year she gave us some chilli seeds, so we have ten different chilli seeds starting a new life in our polytunnel now! Me and Baz are both into our chilli- my body not so much but I still eat it!- so it will be great if we can grow it.

Baz made great progress with the paths and securing the polytunnel with paving slabs.








I'll leave you with a lovely picture of a flower that has sprung up in one of the beds....
-x-


  

No comments:

Post a Comment