Wednesday 11 July 2012

All good, just nothing to harvest...

We seem to have had a bit of a social life recently so last weekend we didn't get to the allotment. So I went up yesterday, watered inside the polytunnel and did an hour or two of weeding. We are still not harvesting much, well nothing yesterday, it's pretty different from this time last year. I really hope things are better next year!


Me looking smug with a load of weeds!


Baz studying....


This is our miniscule harvest from a couple of weeks back!! You can't really tell but those potatoes are actually new potatoes and the cauliflower is also tiny.

Despite not really harvesting anything at the moment, the plot is looking really good. The sweet peas we grew from seed are starting to flower- white, pink and purple- and I spent a little bit of time tying them to the canes yesterday. Also the wild flower butterfly mix I put in a few months ago have gone crazy and there are some really pretty blue and pink flowers. Will take some pics for the next post.

Sadly no frogs or toads in the makeshift pond yet.


What else? In the polytunnel the cucumber plants are growing loads, there are lots of cucumbers, and yesterday I noticed one starting to get a little bigger. I need to look up whether I'm supposed to be pruning the plants at all. The slugs seems to love eating our chilli plants, which is really annoying. We've tried putting woodchip around the base of the plants, but that hasn't deterred them. So we need to try other methods. Luckily the ones we have in pots seem to be untouched, so far. The tomato plants in the ground seem to be doing ok, although I think I started them all just a bit too late, as there are no fruits showing yet. 


Tommy the big black and white cat came to see me while I was weeding yesterday. He is really cute. Until he goes and rolls in the radish seedlings, looking at me as if to say ''Aren't I cute? Yes I am crushing all your precious seedlings. Mwah ha ha ha!''.


Adios -x- 

No comments:

Post a Comment