Thursday 19 May 2011

Sea weed

You know it's funny how we term certain plants 'weeds' and I only just realised we also do that for the non-land dwelling ones too- seaweed. Aren't they all just lovely, mother earth plants, here for millenia before any of us humanoids with our silly words came into existence?

Ok so I know I previously called bindweed a strangler, but I still think we shouldn't refer to it as a weed. This is what dictionary.com says:

weed

1 [weed]
–noun
1.
a valueless plant growing wild, especially one that grows on cultivated ground to the exclusion or injury of the desired crop.
2.
any undesirable or troublesome plant, especially one that grows profusely where it is not wanted: The vacant lot was covered with weeds.
 
Ok so I think it's a bit harsh to say a plant is valueless... Imagine if we said that about a creature?
 
The New Oxford Dictionary of English says:
 
weed > noun 1. a wild plant growing where it is not wanted and in competition with cultivated plants // any wild plant growing in salt or fresh water.
 
Ok so that's a less harsh definition and I can live with that.
 
The main reason I brought the whole weed thing up is that I was reading a composting book at Mum's and I read that you can put seaweed into your heap. So I'll definitely be doing that seeing as we live so near to the lovely sea an' all. 
 
I'm up in Northumberland at the moment, which is brilliant mainly cos I get to play with my nephew and niece who are scrumptious and sorry Adam and Scarlet but I may have to accidentally kidnap them for a few weeks. Don't worry I'll post them back accidentally too like what happened to that gecko the other day.
 
Yesterday I filled in the complaints form on the council website, so we have now lodged an official complaint about the way Matt dealt with our original complaint/letter. He's such a noob.
xxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment