Monday 16 May 2011

It's all coming together!

So I've been slack and haven't updated my dear lovely blog for a couple of weeks which has been mostly due to me cracking up a bit (don't worry I'm feeling much better today!) and also I seem to have been incredibly busy (mostly cracking up). But I am here now. With some of the cracks filled in....

So we have had our new allotment for two and half weeks, and we've definitely done a lot in that time. I have had quite a few moments of feeling totally overwhelmed by the allotment, which I know others would feel in our situation (ie new plot with loads of clearing and sowing to do and it's May so there's a slight urgency to it all!). I have had flip-out moments due to carpet everywhere and seen more woodlice than you can imagine, they're literally everywhere! Due to my slightly fragile mental state I've had days up there when I've felt really sociable and can talk to all the neighbours no problems, but I've had more days lately when I've wanted to hide from everyone and everything, and it has been like a sanctuary for me to escape to when I feel like I can't cope with the rest of the world. Or when I can't sleep.

Anyway, depressing stuff over (!), yesterday we had a great day there, at least I did anyway. I spent most of the day clearing the edges of the raspberry beds and clearing the path. I picked off so much bindweed- I never knew what this was until I just looked it up online. It's bloody annoying isn't it? It's a plant strangler that's for sure. I understand a bit more about the compost heap as well. I know that for most people it is a very simple concept, but I wasn't really sure what could go into it exactly. Baz got loads done- he is about 100 times quicker than me at digging over a bed and putting some seed in. Which meant he did two or three yesterday and also did other stuff like gathering up all the landfill stuff at the top and laying some slabs as a path to the compost heap.

What we have sowed/planted in the last week or so:

-beetroot
-the rest of the potatoes (King Edward and another one)
-onion
-garlic
-curly kale
-dwarf runner beans
-parsnip
-carrots
-lettuce

-echinacea

here are some pics, there's a lot.....



































hasta la vista baby -x-

2 comments:

  1. I just wrote a whole, HUGE comment here and it disappeared!! Meh. :/

    ReplyDelete