Saturday 20 November 2010

Allotment abandonment

I have been to the lottie once since I've written on here, and even took a few photos, but unfortunately other things have been taking precedence of late, namely my new job, birthday party preparations and..well actually the only other reasons for me not going to the allotment are my lack of motivation and, quite importantly, the rain we've been having.  One of the main tasks at the moment is preparing the beds that B has lovingly created, which involves digging the soil, and the one time I have been in the last week that proved quite difficult because of the dampness of the soil.

Anyway, I had a fantastic present from my lovely friend in Hong Kong which came from her Mum and Dad in Kent which consisted of several bags of seeds!! Which is very exciting and it's lovely to know that the seeds have come from a garden I know, and love, and having sampled their produce on lots of occasions, I know that as long as we don't totally mess it up, the veg should be really tasty.  So we've now got some seeds for next year which are:
-runner beans
-rhubarb
-sunflowers
-french beans
-spinach

Brilliant!

I only learnt about a month or two ago whilst on the food growing course at Whitehawk how you get sunflower seeds.  I was wondering about it beforehand, and then we got to cut the flower heads down and let them dry out in preparation for removing the seeds easily. We also tried some of the seeds straight from the flower (or is it plant?) and they were yummy.

Next time I come on here I'll put up the photos I took the other day.  B's been really good at getting to the allotment after work and spending even just half an hour there before dark sets in.  I found out the other day that a friend got an allotment on the same day as us and theirs isn't that far from us which is really cool.

B reckons M is going to pack it in before long, as he's a bit of a city boy at heart.  I don't really know, but time will tell I guess. 

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment