Tuesday 23 November 2010

Back on track

Hey y'all,

Well I made it to the allotment today and was there for about 3 hours.  Somehow it took me that long to dig less than one of our beds..?! I am quite slow at doing things sometimes, but also the soil, or more accurately put, mud, was sticking together a lot so it made it difficult.  Plus I'm a bit too thorough I think as B told me when I saw him tonight that it would have taken him about an hour.  I didn't actually take an after picture as when I left it was already getting dark, but here it is part way through:

You can hopefully see the difference between what I've dug and what I haven't!

To the left is the shed and in between the shed and this bed used to be a couple of trees, which are now just sad little tree stumps.  Anyway, the point is that their roots are/were below a lot of the soil I was digging over, so that also added to the speed I could go at.  Or at least that's another handy excuse.. And who cares how long it takes anyway, the point is I'm doing it and (mostly) enjoying it.  I'm getting lots of lovely fresh air, and today it was so tranquil as I saw hardly anyone and it was pretty much just me and the birds.  Speaking of which I saw a beautiful little robin just before I left, it had a little nose around the bed I was working on and for about ten exciting seconds I was trying to will it to go to our new peanut feeder (birthday pres from my sis) in the fruit tree. But, alas, he wasn't interested. Here it is:

I found it a bit hard today when I was digging the soil as I kept unearthing worms and every now and then I freaked out because I thought I had chopped one in half.  Hopefully I didn't decapitate too many and I tried to put them back under the soil each time I rudely interrupted their lives. The creature related dilemmas and sagas seem to permeate these blogs, but I wouldn't expect it to be any other way.  Anyone reading, however, will probably find it completely ridiculous and strange.  But hey ho.

Here is another pic, which shows all the hard work B has been putting in lately, and luckily he is much more speedy than me at getting things done.


Didn't see M today. Seems like he's been a little busy though as the compost area at the back is pretty full.  (I like to keep tabs!).

Ok well that's all folks.  I'm hoping to go back to lottie tomorrow morning for an hour to finish off the bed so I can at least say one is done! And then it would be good to get some rye or mustard seed sown (green fertiliser).

Adios! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment